Italy: the launching pad for the US attack on Syria
- The admiral Michelle Howard
• The two US warships, the USS Porter and the USS Ross, that attacked the Syrian base of Shayrat, form part of the Sixth Fleet; and the Sixth Fleet’s principal base is Gaeta, Lazio;
• The Sixth Fleet depends on the Command of the US Naval Forces. The latter directed the attack, ordered by President Trump, from Naples;
• Admiral Michelle Howard heads the Command of the US Naval Forces and she concurrently commands the Nato Joint Forces, headquartered at Lake Patria (Naples); and
• The military operation was supported by two US bases in Sicily: one is the air naval base at Sigonella, and the other, the Muos station (part of a system for naval transmissions) at Niscemi, supported by the Augusta base where ships belonging to the Sixth Fleet and Nato are resupplied with fuel and ammunition, including Tomahawk cruise missiles, the very weapons used against Syria.
Il Manifesto (Italy)